Sunday, November 23, 2008

Child training tip of the week

I am considering adding a child training tip of the week. This will mostly be something that will help me solidify and reinforce what I am learning in this joyful journey of raising and training my children. I am not writing it because I think I have it all figured out, by any means! I will just be sharing some of the tips that are working for our family. God has blessed us with his Word, some good Godly examples of parents raising wonderful children, and some helpful books that have encouraged us along the way. So please don't take this as I am telling you what to do with your children, I am just sharing things that have worked for us - if they work for you too, then great!

So, let's get started.

Tip for today: When I am training my children, I always speak with the voice that I want them to respond to. For example, if I tell Noah or Abigail "no" in a nice, gentle and quite voice, and I mean it and back up my words every time, they will come to know that when Mama says no, she means no, regardless of the volume or tone of voice. This doesn't mean that I am over the top syrupy sweet, but I always aim to speak with a gentle voice to my children and I expect them to obey the first time. That way they aren't waiting for Mama to raise her voice, or get the serious tone before they obey.

No comments: