Monday, November 10, 2008

How to tell when a baby has a burp

Abigail is just about to get out of the "burping" stage, but I wanted to pass on this little bit of wisdom to all of you new mommies, before I forget! When Abigail was in the NICU in Modesto our favorite nurse Toni would often say "Oh, I think she swallowed wind" (Her Australian way of saying she has a burp). Sure enough, we would pat her back and up a burp would come and the fussing would stop. Finally I asked her how she knew - because she wouldn't say it every time she fussed, just some of the time. She told me that you look right above their upper lip, and if that area is darker, they likely have a burp. It will just look slightly darker - not the lip, but right above the lip. It looks almost like a very light 5 o clock shadow of a mustache. I would have never noticed it if she hadn't said it, but once we brought Abigail home I would always check the skin above her lip and it was a sure-fire way to tell if she had a burp. (Small print - Not making any medical claims, if their lips are blue or purple definitely take them in, and I am not sure if this will work on all babies). I hope that helps one new mommy!

1 comment:

Michelle Temple said...

What a great tip! My Noah is defiantly in the burping stage still. I will have to try it out.