Saturday, May 31, 2008

So proud of Doug - a week and a half to go!!!

I have been meaning to post about my amazing husband and how proud of him I am! Besides being a man that loves God with all his heart, an incredible husband, awesome daddy, and wonderful friend, he is also CRAZY SMART and a HARD worker!

In the midst of everything happening with Abigail, Doug got the news that he was awarded the "Graduate Research Mentorship", which to us basically means a lot of money to help with school, that we don't have to pay back! Praise God for that!

Doug also found out that he was
ranked #1 in his department! When he told me this I was very excited and proud of him, but I was thinking that this was out of the ancient history department, which I think is about 4 people, but he told me it was out of the WHOLE history department which is a LOT of people! I asked him how it was that they came up with the ranking and decided and he said that he wasn't sure. I questioned him a little more asking "Well you must have some idea what they base it on, and why you were ranked 1st?" With which he humbly responded (something along the lines of) "Well, I have taken the hardest classes possible out of the requirements, I am working hard towards my degree and going ahead of schedule, I need to know 5 languages, and I already have 4 of them done, I am getting an additional Masters in classics on the way to my PhD, and well... I think my adviser really likes me, and God hooked me up!" (He always gives God the credit!)

He is doing all of that while teaching two classes at Fresno State, teaching 3 homeschool classes (which is a passion of his), and traveling about 440 miles a week!

So, now Doug only has a
week and a half left, then he will be done with this quarter, and done with the traveling down there every week! He will still have to go down about every 2 or 3 weeks but just for a day. He is pushing really hard and working to get his degree done in 2 more years, which would be ahead of schedule, so now we can see the light at the end of the tunnel. It has actually gone by really fast, but Noah is starting to ask where his Daddy is a lot more, and I really like to have him home, so I am glad the traveling part is almost over. We felt like God was opening the doors and wanting Doug to go to school, (I wasn't too happy about that at first!) so it will be exciting to see what comes next and the way that God will continue to work through him.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow!!! That is awesome news!!!
Tell Doug congratulations!!!